I am not a U.S. citizen and will need a student visa in order to study in the United States. What should I do?

If you are admitted to a graduate program, we will email you instructions for beginning the I-20 application process. If you have questions about the I-20 process, please contact the University’s International Student and Scholar Services office.

Do you accept transfer credit for master’s or doctoral students?

Master’s students may request a transfer of up to two graduate-level courses, and doctoral students may request transfer of up to nine. We do not accept transfer credits from online courses for on-campus programs. Read more about transfer credit in the Graduate Student Handbook.

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes. Start by submitting an application for the first program you are applying to, and then submit your other application(s) using the same account and login information. You will need to upload all the required application components and pay a separate application fee for each application you submit.

If you are admitted to more than one program, you may enroll in only one. You can apply to the second program (as a dual degree option) after you have completed at least one semester. See the Graduate Student Handbook for details.

Are there guidelines or requirements for the personal statement?

No, but we do have some recommendations. For more, see How to Apply.

Do I need a bachelor’s in engineering to apply to a Penn Engineering graduate program?

Some of our programs require a BS in engineering, but others don’t. You can learn more about prerequisites in the descriptions of our master’s programs and Ph.D. programs.

What are the prerequisites for admission?

That depends on the program, but in general, you must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the time classes begin. For details, see How to Apply